Why do I need an AZPDES Construction Activity General Permit (CGP) for Stormwater?

This permit is for stormwater discharges that enter Arizona surface waters or a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) leading to Arizona surface waters, and are associated with:

  • Construction activities that disturb 1 or more of acres of land
  • Construction activities that will disturb less than 1 acre but are part of a larger common plan of development or sale that will ultimately disturb 1 acre or more
  • Support activities from temporary plants or operations set up to produce concrete, asphalt or other materials exclusively for the permitted construction project

2020 CGP - Modified

The 2020 Construction General Permit (CGP) was issued on March 27, 2020, and became effective on July 1, 2020, replacing ADEQ’s 2013 CGP. The 2020 CGP was modified to include non-WOTUS protected surface waters. This modification was necessary in order to incorporate Arizona’s new Surface Water Protection Program (SWPP)1 | Visit SWPP Page >

The CGP permit modification became effective Sept. 29, 2021. No action is currently required to maintain coverage if you have an active NOI.

Permit — Modified | View/Download >
Fact Sheet — Modified | View/Download >
Response to Comments | View/Download >

Frequently Asked Questions | View >

Need to Look Up Your Permit(s)?

Log in to myDEQ to view your permit or, if you have not yet applied for coverage in myDEQ, visit the CGP database and search by business name, site name, address or other | Look Up Active Permit(s) >

    How to submit Notice of Intent (NOI) for coverage under CGP:

    To obtain, modify or terminate a CGP NOI, you will need to use myDEQ | Get an Account > 

    A SWPPP is required to be completed prior to submitting an NOI | Learn More >


    Annual fees are based on the number of acres being disturbed during the construction project: 

    • Less than or equal to 1 acre disturbed | $250 *
    • Greater than 1 acre and less than or equal to 50 acres disturbed | $350 * 
    • Greater than 50 acres disturbed | $500 *

    $1,000 SWPPP/SAP first time review fee is required if any of your outfall(s) are within 1/4 mile of impaired, not-attaining, Outstanding Arizona Waters. $500 SWPPP review fee for when a second review is needed.