Why do I need an AZPDES Construction Activity General Permit (CGP) for Stormwater?

This permit is for stormwater discharges that enter Arizona surface waters or a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) leading to Arizona surface waters, and are associated with:

  • Construction activities that disturb 1 or more of acres of land
  • Construction activities that will disturb less than 1 acre but are part of a larger common plan of development or sale that will ultimately disturb 1 acre or more
  • Support activities from temporary plants or operations set up to produce concrete, asphalt or other materials exclusively for the permitted construction project 

AZPDES Stormwater Construction Activity General Permit (CGP) and fact sheet:

How to submit Notice of Intent (NOI) for coverage under CGP:

As of June 1, 2017, CGPs are paperless with myDEQ.  
To obtain, modify or terminate a CGP NOI, you will need to use myDEQ | Learn More > 

  • SMART NOI (online) Application went offline May 31, 2017 
  • Paper Application no longer accepted as of May 31, 2017 

A SWPPP is required to be completed prior to submitting an NOI | Learn More > 


Annual fees are based on the number of acres being disturbed during the construction project: 

  • Less than 1acre disturbed | $250 *
  • – 50 acres disturbed | $350 * 
  • Greater than 50 acres disturbed | $500 *

$1,000 SWPPP first time review fee is required if any of your outfall(s) are within 1/4 mile of impaired, not-attaining, Outstanding Arizona Waters. $500 SWPPP review fee for when a second review is needed.