[ADEQ Media] ADEQ Director Owens Announces Student Environmental Pledge and Other Activities for Earth Day 2008
Mon Mar 31 14:14:17 MST 2008
ADEQ Director Owens Announces Student Environmental Pledge and Other
Activities for Earth Day 2008
PHOENIX (March 31, 2008) - Arizona Department of Environmental Quality
(ADEQ) Director Steve Owens announced today that hundreds of elementary
and junior high school students are expected to sign an "Earth Day
Pledge" to "recycle, conserve energy and save water to protect Arizona's
resources" leading up to Earth Day, April 22.
ADEQ will circulate the pledge through its regional offices in Tucson
and Flagstaff and through its community liaisons in Yuma, St. Johns
and Safford. It is also available on the ADEQ Web site at
The Pledge asks children to recycle, turn off the water while brushing
their teeth, turn off the lights when leaving a room, donate old usable
toys and books instead of throwing them away, riding a bike or walking
when they can, to never litter and to dispose of trash properly, and to
turn off the TV and electronic games when they are not in use.
"This is a great way for students to get involved in Earth Day and for
teachers to help generate discussion of environmental issues," Director
ADEQ staff will be present with educational activities at these April
Earth Month events:
* April 12, 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m: Girl Scout Jamboree, YMCA Chauncey
* April 13, 7 a.m. - 9 a.m.: City of Glendale Family Bike Ride, Sahuaro
Ranch Park, 9802 N. 59th Ave., Glendale.
* April 16, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.: Go Green Gateway Event, Gateway Community
College, 108 N. 40th St., Phoenix.
* April 19, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.: Earth Day Festival and Parade, off Country
Club Drive near Reid Park Zoo, Tucson.
* April 19, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.: Healthy Living/Healthy Planet Earth Day
Celebration, 339 Posse Grounds Road, Sedona.
* April 19, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.: White Mountain Earth Day Celebration,
Northland Pioneer College, 1001 W. Deuce of Clubs, Show Low.
* April 20, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.: Earth Day "Party for the Planet," Phoenix
Zoo, 455 N. Galvin Parkway, Phoenix.
* April 22 (Earth Day), 8 a.m. - noon: Earth Day Event, Scottsdale
Community College, 9000 E. Chaparral Road, Scottsdale.
* April 23, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m: Earth Day Event, Pima Community College,
7600 N. Shannon Road, Tucson.
* April 23, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.: Arizona Army National Guard Earth Day
Event, Papago Military Reservation, 5636 E. McDowell Road, Phoenix.
ADEQ'S EARTH DAY PLEDGE
I pledge to make Earth Day every day and do all I can to help
I pledge to recycle, conserve energy and save water to protect Arizona's
I pledge to help my family and school learn how they can help
the environment and prevent pollution for a cleaner and
I pledge to do one or more of the following:
* Recycle cans and bottles instead of throwing them away.
* Turn off the water while brushing my teeth and ask my family to do the
* Turn off the lights when leaving a room.
* Donate old usable toys and books instead of throwing them away.
* Ride a bike or walk when I can.
* Never litter and dispose of my trash properly.
* Turn off the TV and electronic games when they are not in use.
Student's First Name
News media interested in additional information on this or any other
topic concerning the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality should
contact the Office of Communications at (602) 771-2215 or via email at
NOTICE: This e-mail (and any attachments) may contain PRIVILEGED OR
CONFIDENTIAL information and is intended only for the use of the specific
individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is
privileged and confidential under state and federal law. This information
may be used or disclosed only in accordance with law, and you may be
subject to penalties under law for improper use or further disclosure of the
information in this e-mail and its attachments. If you have received this e-
mail in error, please immediately notify the person named above by reply e-
mail, and then delete the original e-mail. Thank you.
More information about the Media