[Dwopcert] 2 Employment opportunities - City of El Mirage
Thu Mar 31 08:53:12 MST 2005
This e-mail is provided for informational purposes only. Please do not reply - replies will not be answered. Please see the message for contact information.
WATER FIELD SUPERVISOR
$38,291 - $57,437 (STARTING SALARY D.O.Q)
OPENING DATE: Thursday, March 3, 2005, 8:00 a.m. CLOSING DATE: Friday, April 29, 2005, p.m.
JOB SUMMARY: Under general direction of the Water Resources Manager and in compliance with local, county, state and federal regulations, plans, organizes, coordinates, assigns, directs and evaluates the operations, repair and maintenance of the City's water production, treatment and storage systems and facilities, including deep wells, chlorination stations, pressure-reducing stations, storage reservoirs and booster pumps; city's water mains, service lines and related appurtenances used in the distribution of potable water in compliance with state and federal requirements; City's wastewater collection and interceptor mains and wastewater pumping facilities; performs related duties as assigned.
* Responsible for planning, coordinating and directing all operations and maintenance activities for the City's water distribution system, water production, treatment and pumping facilities and systems and wastewater collection systems, facilities and equipment, ensuring compliance with all federal and state environmental requirements.
* Responsible for formulating and developing assigned unit goals and objectives as related to division goals.
* Supervises assigned personnel and directs day-to-day activities.
* Schedules, coordinates and supervises the work of crews engaged in construction, installation, repair, maintenance and servicing of water distribution systems, including mains, service lines, valves, hydrants and related appurtenances.
* Oversees and evaluates wastewater collection system operations to ensure compliance with federal, state and local requirements and to maintain processes at an optimal and cost effective level.
* Provides technical assistance to staff and inspects and evaluates work being performed to assure City standards are met.
* Identifies problem areas and directs remedial action.
* Responds to inquiries and complaints from the public.
* Responsible for carrying out the City's safety program; ensures subordinates follow safety policy in work methods and procedures.
* Prepares requisitions for tools, supplies, materials and equipment.
* Develops, reviews and updates written maintenance instructions and schedules and ensures the timely completion of planned preventive maintenance programs.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Methods, practices, techniques and equipment used in operating large, complex water production, storage and transmission facilities;
* Federal, state, county and local laws pertaining to the operation of water treatment and transmission facilities, including the Safe Drinking Water Act, Arizona Administrative Code, ADEQ and MCESD requirements;
* Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration; safety regulations, safe work practices and safety equipment related to the work;
* Principles and practices of effective management and supervision.
* Planning, assigning, directing and coordinating water treatment and well production systems and facilities and a variety of functional specialties with overlapping work areas;
* Understanding, interpreting, explaining, and applying federal, state, county, and local regulations and public health requirements.
* Reading and interpreting technical illustrations, blueprints, maps, plans, specifications, wiring and hydraulic diagrams;
* Establishing effective working relationships and communicating effectively.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work may involve moderate to heavy work in all types of weather. There is need to stand, stoop, walk, lift heavy objects (over 100 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of El Mirage promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The equivalent of a High School Diploma or GED is required and three years of experience in water systems management. Additional certification (defined by the City of El Mirage) must be obtained within one year of appointment as a condition of employment. Must have a valid Class A or B Commercial Drivers License at the time of appointment and must be maintained as a condition of employment. Requires Arizona Certifications in Water Distribution Grade IV; Wastewater Collections Grade IV; and Water Treatment Grade III, with the ability to obtain Water Treatment Grade IV within 12 months of hire date.
PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR
$59,721 - $89,581 (STARTING SALARY D.O.Q.)
OPENING DATE: March 31, 2005 CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
SUMMARY: Under general direction, plans, directs and supervises construction, alteration, maintenance, and repair of El Mirage infrastructure including all city buildings, facilities, streets, sewer, and drainage/irrigation systems; oversees and supervises Public Works personnel in performance of construction, maintenance and repair operations, collection and disposal of yard waste, water and wastewater systems management, and emergency operations; and performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates and recommends short- and long-range plans.
- Develops budget projections and monitors budget for the Public Works Department;
- Receives input on new projects and establishes priorities;
- Meets with subordinate supervisors for updates on projects, departmental issues, problem-solving;
- Inspects construction sites to ensure safe efficient operation of equipment and handling of materials and supplies.
- Researches information on safety; attends internal meetings for city activities;
- Develops and reviews policies and procedures for emergency and disaster management;
- Interviews, hires, promotes, transfers, schedules, assigns, evaluates and rewards work performance;
- Assigns and/or approves overtime and compensatory time, approves sick, vacation and personal leaves, recalls employees in emergencies;
- Counsels, disciplines, develops corrective action plans; maintains personnel files and records.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- applicable federal, state, and local regulations, codes, and ordinances related to Public
Works projects and personnel.
- grants and project application, administration and reporting.
- management level preparation of reports and budgets.
- construction methods, practices and procedures.
- managerial, administrative and supervisory practices and procedures.
- budgetary development, oversight and disbursement.
- reviewing, monitoring, and prioritizing the maintenance/repair of public works systems.
- supervising, evaluating, training and motivating employees.
- maintaining computerized records and files.
- utilizing written and oral communication in the development of reports, presentations, and
- responding appropriately to public works emergencies.
- utilizing public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- establishing and maintaining cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is normally performed in an office environment; however, there may be exposure to weather and construction hazards during site visits. There is occasional need to stand, stoop, walk, lift light to moderate objects (over 25 pounds) and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. The City of El Mirage promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The equivalent of a Bachelor's degree with major coursework in civil engineering required and seven (7) years experience in building management and construction, public works management or related field, including two (2) years of supervisory experience. A valid state driver's license required.
Application packets can be obtained at:
City of El Mirage
12145 NW Grand Ave., Suite 4
El Mirage, Arizona 85335
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday
Phone: (623) 876-2945 Fax (623) 876-4603
Visit our website at: www.cityofelmirage.org
More information about the Dwopcert