A Friendly Reminder to Hazard Waste Generators
Please follow these simple rules when submitting your hazardous waste manifests:
- Label them as being the Generator copy.
- Ensure that all information is Complete.
- Ensure that all information is Legible.
- Ensure that all information is Accurate.
- Ensure use of Correct, Activated EPA ID #.
Each manifest that is not properly completed will be subject to
a $20 re-submittal fee authorized under ARS §49-922.01.
Need additional info? Please contact David Janke at (602) 771-4173 or
(800) 234-5677, Ext: 771-4743 (Toll Free)
U.S. EPA revised the Hazardous Waste Manifest Forms used to track hazardous waste from a generator's site to the site of its disposition. Handlers of waste must obtain new forms from any source that has registered with the U.S. EPA to print and distribute the form.
How do I submit manifest copies to my state?
The state of Arizona requires that one copy of each manifest (Generator, Transporter, and TSD Facility) be submitted to ADEQ.
Manifests may be mailed to:
Arizona Department of Environmental Quality
GIS & IT Unit, MS 4415 A-1
1110 West Washington Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
What are my state-specific waste codes?
Arizona does not have any state-specific waste codes.
Does Arizona have any rules for completing and submitting manifests?
As stated earlier, generators, transporters, and treatment, storage and disposal facilities (TSDFs) are required by 40 CFR 262, subpart B, to submit manifests to ADEQ and must do so in the following manner:
- One copy from the generator, each transporter, and the TSDF of each manifest.
- Generator Requirements (R18-8-262):
- The generator copy must be submitted to ADEQ no later than 45 days following the end of the month of shipment;
- The generator copy must have the signature of that generator and transporter, and the signature of the owner or operator of the TSDF;
- If a manifest does not meet these requirements, the generator must submit an exception report to ADEQ;
- Transporter Requirements (R18-8-263):
- The transporter copy must be submitted to ADEQ no later than 30 days following the end of the month of shipment;
- The transporter copy must have the signature of the transporter;
- If a shipment of hazardous waste originates outside of Arizona, the transporter does not need to submit its copy of the manifest to ADEQ;
- TSDF Requirements (R18-8-264; R18-8-265):
- The TSDF copy must be submitted to ADEQ no later than 30 days following the end of the month of shipment;
- The TSDF must send a copy to the generator no later than 30 days following the delivery date;
- The TSDF copy must have the signature of the owner, operator or agent of the facility;
- When a TSDF is also a generator, the owner or operator must submit a generator copy of each manifest, with signatures of the generator, transporters and destination TSDF. A TSDF will know it is also the generator when the TSDF name and mailing address appears in the generator box of the manifest. This scenario occurs when:
- The TSDF generates hazardous waste in the course of storing, treating or otherwise handling hazardous waste (or materials that become hazardous waste in the course of their business);
- The TSDF ships hazardous waste after storage;
- The TSDF creates a new manifest while the hazardous waste is still in transportation, such as when incoming shipments are split or consolidated for transportation to different destinations;
- The TSDF ships hazardous waste initially received by the TSDF from outside the United States;
- The TSDF ships hazardous waste initially received by the TSDF from Native-American lands.
- If a shipment of hazardous waste is accepted by the TSDF without a manifest, the TSDF must file an Unmanifested Waste report with ADEQ;
- If a shipment of hazardous waste having a significant discrepancy in weight or volume that cannot be resolved is received by the TSDF, the TSDF must file a Manifest Discrepancy report with ADEQ.
- Details of Arizona's Hazardous Waste Manifest Rules
For more information regarding manifest requirements, please contact David Janke at (602) 771-4173.