|Welcome to the Waste Programs Division
The mission of the Waste Programs Division is to protect and enhance public health and the environment by reducing the risk associated with waste management, contaminated sites and regulated substances.
Our core responsibilities include:
- Assuring the proper handling, storage, treatment and disposal of wastes, and proper operation and maintenance of underground storage tank;
- Investigating complaints and violations of Arizona's solid waste, hazardous waste and underground storage tank laws;
- Investigating, managing and remediating soil and groundwater that are contaminated with regulated and hazardous substances;
- Promoting pollution prevention and recycling;
- Reviewing and approving construction plans for landfills and special waste facilities;
- Administering payments from the State Assurance Fund for reimbursement of eligible costs associated with removal and remediation of leaking USTs.