Air Quality Division: Vehicle Emissions: What Vehicles Need to be Tested?

Unless specifically exempted, all 1967 and newer vehicles (including diesels) that are registered in the metro Phoenix (Area A) or metro Tucson (Area B) emission test areas must receive an emissions inspection no more than 90 days prior to registration.

Your registration renewal application from the Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) will say "Emission Test Required" when it is time to have your vehicle tested. If your vehicle has not previously required an emission test, to determine if testing is required or if you have questions about requirements for your vehicle, please contact:

(602) 771-3950 or

If you work in the emission test area, but are registered outside of the area, Arizona law requires that you have the vehicle inspected in the area to which you commute. Note: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) tests conducted in Pima County are valid for registration in Maricopa County. All other tests performed in Pima County are valid for Pima County registration only.

The On-Board Diagnostics test in Pima County is now valid for a period of two years. Once tested and passed, testing will not be required for two years. MVD will issue registration renewal notices showing the first year testing is required under this change. Look for "Emissions Testing Required" on your renewal.

Automobile dealers are responsible for having vehicles emissions tested prior to sale. You will be notified by the MVD when you need to re-register your vehicle and if it is due for emissions testing.

Vehicles to be tested must enter the inspection station under their own power. They may not be on or pulling a trailer.

Exempted Vehicles

  • Most model year 2010 or newer, except reconstructed, vehicles
  • Most model year 2012 or newer original equipment alternative fuel vehicles
  • Model year 1966 and older vehicles
  • Vehicles designated as "collectible" (requires collectible vehicle insurance, reported to Arizona Motor Vehicle Division by insurer)
  • Electric powered, golf carts or vehicles with engine displacement of less than 90cc
  • Motorcycles
  • Apportioned vehicles (licensed in more than one state)
  • Vehicles leased to a person residing outside the emission control areas
  • Vehicles transferred between dealers (wholesale)

See Also: